In the spirit of UDL, we are providing a variety of materials before the workshop on Wednesday, January 8th. If it helps your learning, sparks your curiosity, or if you just feel inclined to learn a bit more about UDL ahead of time, You may choose to read, watch, or listen to one or more items from the list below.
Where possible, we listed the media length or number of pages in parenthesis at the end of the item, so you can use that information to help you plan or make choices.
Podcasts - Transcripts are available for podcast episodes. See each site for details.
Videos - Closed captioning available for videos
- Kumar, K. L., & Wideman, M. (2014). Accessible by design: Applying UDL principles in a first year undergraduate course. Canadian Journal of Higher Education, 44(1), 125-147. (22 pages)
- Capp, M. J. (2017). The effectiveness of universal design for learning: a meta-analysis of literature between 2013 and 2016. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 21(8), 791-807. (16 pages)
- Seok, S., DaCosta, B., & Hodges, R. (2018). A systematic review of empirically based Universal Design for Learning: implementation and effectiveness of Universal Design in education for students with and without disabilities at the postsecondary level. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 6(05), 171. (19 pages)
- Lang, J.M. (2017, September 27). A Welcoming Classroom. Retrieved from https://www.chronicle.com. (about 2 pages)
- Hofer, M. (2014, September 14). UDL: A Systematic Approach to Supporting Diverse Learners. Retrieved from https://www.facultyfocus.com. (about 2 pages)
- Prof. Hacker (2012, August 24). What Can Angry Birds Teach Us About Universal Design for Instruction? Retrieved from https://www.chronicle.com. (about 2 pages)
- UDL Self-Evaluation - a brief quiz that guides you through exploring your teaching in relation to UDL principles
UDL, Neuroscience, and the Science of Learning